ALERT: The Tram Ride to the Top of the Arch is TEMPORARILY CLOSED for system improvements until March 2017. During the closure, no ticket is required for entry into the Arch facility which includes The Arch Store and the award-winning documentary, "Monument to the Dream" (free showings throughout the day). There's still so much to do - learn more here!
Use these suggestions to help make your visit to the Gateway Arch even more enjoyable and memorable.
Due to construction in downtown St. Louis and at the Gateway Arch, please allow extra time to arrive at the Arch and the Gateway Arch Riverboats. Up-to-date directions and detour information can be found here. During construction, the Old Courthouse will serve as the temporary Ticketing and Visitor Center for the Gateway Arch.
Note that the Gateway Arch, Gateway Arch Riverboats and Old Courthouse are more popular during certain times of the year than others, depending upon weather, and during holidays and school vacations.
- To fully enjoy your visit, please allow 60–90 minutes for each activity.
- To save time, you may book your activities online in advance, and simply bring your purchase confirmation to your first activity. For reservations made in advance through the Call Center, you may pick tickets up at the Will Call window in the Ticketing and Visitor Center, located in the Old Courthouse at 11 North 4th Street, St. Louis, MO 63102. Call 877-982-1410 to speak with an agent about questions or reservations, especially for same-day tickets. Our Call Center is open: Summer (Memorial Day weekend–Labor Day weekend), Monday–Saturday, 8am–8pm and Sunday, 8am–6pm | Winter (Labor Day weekend–Memorial Day weekend), Daily, 9am–5pm Closed Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day and New Year’s Day.
- The tram ride to the top of the Arch is one of our most popular activities. Arrive early to avoid lines and allow 30–45 minutes for security checks. The security checkpoint at the Arch is similar to that of an airport (you may keep shoes on). Pack lightly to get through security as quickly as possible. Please note: Weapons including pepper spray, mace, guns (including CCW), cat eyes, brass knuckles, and knives (non-folding blades and blades longer than 4" in length) are prohibited inside of security.
- Please note that throughout construction:
- Capacity of the entire Gateway Arch facility is limited. EACH guest planning to enter the Gateway Arch will be required to have EITHER a Journey to the Top ticket OR an Arch Entry-Only ticket to be allowed access to the facility.
- A Journey to the Top ticket includes the tram ride to the top as well as the documentary film, Monument to the Dream (based on availability). For guests NOT wanting to ride the tram to the Top of the Arch, the Arch Entry-Only ticket allows access to the Gateway Arch facility and admission to the documentary film (based on availability).
- The Museum of Westward Expansion is unavailable. Educational programs and exhibits about westward expansion are available at the Old Courthouse in three free exhibit galleries.
- Find more details about ticket pricing here.
- For riverboat cruises offered March–November, please arrive at scheduled boarding times.
- The Jefferson National Expansion Memorial spans several blocks, so please wear comfortable shoes.
- Bring a camera, as you will encounter many photo opportunities and magnificent views during your visit to the Gateway Arch, Gateway Arch Riverboats and Old Courthouse.
- If driving, plan ahead with these directions and suggestions for parking.
- Due to the curved nature of the Gateway Arch, wheelchairs and strollers are not allowed in the Observation Deck at the top. Find additional information about accessibility at the Arch grounds here.
Enjoy food from the Arch View Café during spring, summer and fall, or from the riverboat snack bars throughout the season. Box lunches are also available at the Arch View Café with advanced reservations through the Call Center at 877-982-1410. For $10, a box lunch includes your choice of:
- Turkey, ham, chicken salad or veggie sandwich
- Potato salad, fresh fruit cup or fresh-baked cookie
- Bottled water, iced tea or soda
Calendar of Events
Find the dates and times for all movie times, cruises, programs and special events at the Jefferson National Expansion Memorial in this events calendar.
Groups are always welcome at the Gateway Arch. Please make your reservations in advance by contacting the Call Center at 877-982-1410 or by filling out a Group Inquiry Form.
Planning a visit to St. Louis? Only at the Drury Hotels of St. Louis will you find the Gateway Arch Experience VIP Package. The package includes a $20 credit toward Gateway Arch activities! Book now!
Visit Explore St. Louis for additional hotel listings.