ALERT: The Tram Ride to the Top of the Arch is TEMPORARILY CLOSED for system improvements until late-April 2017. During the closure, no ticket is required for entry into the Arch facility which includes The Arch Store and the award-winning documentary, "Monument to the Dream". (free showings throughout the day).

 

Please Note: The Museum of Westward Expansion, located under the Gateway Arch is closed for significant renovations. Certain artifacts from the Museum are on display in exhibit galleries at the Old Courthouse.

BUY TICKETS

Old Courthouse Hosts Special Programming Commemorating the Anniversary of the Dred Scott Decision

February 22, 2017

ST. LOUIS—The first weekend in March, the Old Courthouse in downtown St. Louis will host special programs that spotlight enslaved African American Dred Scott’s historic suit for freedom, which he launched in 1846. The case’s lower court trials were heard in 1847 and 1850 at the Old Courthouse.

All events are free and open to the public, and take place at the Old Courthouse (11 North Fourth Street, St. Louis, MO 63102).

Dred Scott Portrait Painting
Saturday and Sunday, March 4 & 5 at 1:00 p.m.
Discover important history contributing to the American Civil War while creating art. Visitors will work with Park Ranger Tony Gilpin, a professional artist, to contribute to an oil painting of Dred Scott and learn about Mr. Scott’s lawsuit for freedom from slavery. The image is based on one of the few surviving images of Mr. Scott from the period. Supplies will be provided. 

Reenactment of the Dred and Harriet Scott Case
Saturday and Sunday, March 4 & 5 at 2:00 p.m.  
The enslaved Scott family—including Dred, Harriet, and their daughters—sued for their freedom from slavery prior to the Civil War. In one of the Old Courthouse’s restored courtrooms, park rangers will facilitate a mock trial, and participants will read printed scripts, taking on the roles of the people involved in Mr. and Mrs. Scott’s 1850 trial.   

ARCH TRAM RIDES SUSPENSION REMINDER
Tram rides to the top of the Gateway Arch are temporarily suspended to replace the motor generator sets and upgrade the tram’s electrical system. The Visitor Center, The Arch Store, Monument to the Dream documentary film and riverfront via the Arch Grand Staircase remain available to visitors during this time. Tram rides will resume in spring 2017. Please note: During the temporary suspension of tram operations, entrance to the Arch Visitor Center is free, and tickets are not required.

PARKING AND ROAD CLOSURES REMINDER
A list of downtown St. Louis parking locations within walking distance of the Old Courthouse is available at http://getaroundstl.com. Metered street parking is also available around the Old Courthouse. Visitors are encouraged to check www.gatewayarch.com/directions for up-to-date information on road detours and construction news before their visit.

FOR MORE INFORMATION
Visit www.nps.gov/jeff or www.gatewayarch.com; or call 877-982-1410. Reservations are not required, but large groups should call 314-655-1614 to alert the Old Courthouse of their attendance.

skip navigation